Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison For anyone that has a same sex partner, family member, friend or Pen Pal in prison that is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgendered.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Default Can felons live together?

Dear Readers,
I have a situation that I need help on. Me and my girlfriend are both felons and we're also both females. I am not on parole-probation anymore but my girlfriend will be.She is currently serving time in the womens correctional facility.In January is when she will be released. We lived together for a little over a year before she went to prison. The reason she went to prison is due to when she was in drug court she got very sick due to her sinuses. She went to the doctor and he prescribed her some medication to take. Before she took it she asked drug court if she can take it. Because some meds show up in a drug test. They told her she can take it. So she did. About three days into taking her medicine they drug tested her. She popped dirty and they kicked her out of drug court and sent her to prison for nine months. Well I went to talk to her parole-probation officer to see if she can parole out to me and he said no. He said if she's caught living with me or is around me it will be violating her parole. I have no money for a lawyer but I know there's just got to be something I can do. I love her so much and I don't want to be apart from her. What can I do?We don't drink or do drugs and we attend the N.A. meetings before she went to prison.We're trying to do good.Please can someone help me bring my baby home to me where she belongs? Thank you all for taking the time to listen to me.
Sincerely,
Southernwolf29
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 11:17 PM

Hi,
I'm sorry that I can't help you, I live in NZ so am not sure of the rules there. I just really wanted to wish you luck with this. I had visa issues and had to leave the US and come home and leave my girl there, so I know how you feel. Good luck Southernwolf, love champions all..
Old 08-25-2008, 04:59 AM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,549 Times in 341 Posts

Someone will come in and correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think unfortunately that it matters if you can afford a lawyer.... if her parole states that she cannot be around or live with another felon, there may not be anything that you can do.

My suggestion is that you ask the question in the state forum where you are living. This is a State and parole question that is not affected by being gay or lesbian. You will just find more knowledge in your home State forum about this question than you will here in the GLBT forum.

The Prison System is Broken
Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,551 Times in 5,625 Posts

if you are familiar with NA,you know you are powerless,and what you can do is pray...do the footwork....and leave the results to Your Higher Power.
I do feel you...you are in love. Sometimes we dont have to live with the person we love 24/7. Acceptance....is...the key....
Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 PM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Default GLBT! i have to get this out of my system

GLBT it really stands for Gay Lettuce,Bacon, and Tomato!
go on...let me have it! Lol!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Leave it to me...lol! i meant for this to be a thread,not a post!!! hmmm...did patty beat me to the quick? jonathan?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 PM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Southernwolf, please accept my apology, i did not mean to poke fun at your thread. this is just a classic of a "wendi-ism" where im in the wrong place at the wrong time...aye ! I am sorry.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 PM

I know in Kanas and Missouri felons cant live together. All I can say is, hang in there. She wont be on parole forever. Good luck and may God bless.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Account Closed

Parole is a contract. The Parole officer can put any conditions into that they or the Judge in the local county want. You can live with her but she cannot live with you. The more you question this the more attention you will draw. If you have asked the parole officer about this, they will check up and you will get caught. If she gets another place to live and in a couple of months starts spending time elsewhere you might get away with it. Mostly it depends on the parole officer. Lots of males want to catch to gals in bed. They get their jollies that way. If you are in a large county and the parole officer has lots of other cases, you will get moved up to the call in catergory quickly enough. Once there, do whatever you like.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Unbreakable thru it all

It is usually standard procedure that a parolee can not be around anyone else on parole/probation, and is often time the case that they can't be around/live with anyone with a record at all. That is just the way the system seems to go, as they want the parolee around "positive" people. (I know, I know...who are they to judge that, right? Well, for 6 months to a year, they are the ONLY judge you need to listen to! ) Also..with her being on parole, she is subject to search and seizure laws...they can search her, her home, her car...any time they feel like it...and if you are there and should not be, they can violate her parole and send her back.

This is fairly standard, and really has zip to do with sexual preference.
Be careful how you tread, and good luck.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Closed

Stay as far away from her as possible when she is on parole if you love her and want her to stay out of jail. After she is done with parole, continue your lives together. I know it's easier said than done, but rules are rules and they won't hesitate to charge her with a parole violation if she is with you.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Muppet Ogre

Mmm. All good advice. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Ray's Girl
Donation Award 

depending on your state, if you are in a legal relationship, @ Married, you might be exempt, but check first. they will violate her if they can.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM

Smile

Techinically, NO, you cannot be around each other much less live together if you're on any type of supervision, state or federal.

However, I remember a few years back when I was on state probation in FL, my wife (girlfriend at the time) was just about to get out too. They let her get out on home confinement to my house. We were locked up together. I got out on regular probation 3 weeks before she did. Before we were locked up, we didn't live together.

Both of our probation officers knew we were living together and nobody ever said anything. I think one of the reasons for lack of attention to this situation too was because where we were living at the time was a VERY small town where everybody pretty much knows everybody in some shape, form, or fashion.

But if you've already asked her probation officer and he/she said no, I'd go one more route and talk to his/her supervisor. If they say no, then I'm sorry, I'd follow the rules so she won't violate and go back to prison.

Just hang tight. She won't be on probation/parole forever. Yes, I know that this is easier said than done. But look at it this way, everything happens for a reason. This just may actually be a blessing in disguise and you don't even know it yet. This just may be the thing you BOTH need: time to get yourselves together on your own and then when her supervision is over, you'll both have grew and matured so that you can live a more positive and productive life as one when the time is right.

Keep ya head up and fully rely on God. Trust me, if it is meant to be, everything will work itself out in the end!

Last edited by beenandback; 04-28-2009 at 01:08 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 PM

When she paroles her parole agent will give her her rules and condition of parole. Her parole agent might not even ask if you're a felon or not and i wouldn't tell her agent not unless they ask. As long as you're not on parole there shouldn't be a problem and as long your not a victim of her crime or have domestic violence against each other in the past then you should be okay. It all comes down to is the parole agent. Before she paroles she willl need to make parole plans. A parole agent will come to visit where she is going to be living she gets out. I wouldn't say anything about you being a felon not unless asked.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
his one and only

my daughter and her husband both have felony records and live with me both their probation officers know this and have been here for home visits when my husband gets out he too will have a felony record but will not be on probation he e.o.s's
this is in Alabama

For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, And your God, my God.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 PM

My suggestion is to check if your county has a domestic partnership registry. I believe and this is just a belief, that they should let you live as a couple if you are registered as domestic partners. Like many have said though, the more you question the officer the more likely he will watch you closer. I wish you luck. I may be facing the same problem when my gf gets out. I'm a felon and she's going to be on probation. Keep me updated on your progress. Thanks.... Laura