Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 AM

Default Hard to Hire Org - a job website for ex offenders?

Anyone have any luck using this free job site that purports to have companies with job openings that are open to people with criminal backgrounds? w w w hard2hire Every time I log on it says "search temporarily unavailable". It sounds too good to be true.

Thanks, Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Hard to Hire

I googled them a few weeks ago....found some negative feedback on the guy who is starting it up.....They just started the site this year....do a little research. I think they are just trying to get people to enroll....I choose to back out of the system after doing some research first. I know they are listed as a non-profit. I am not giving my personal information to anyone unless I know that they are legitimate!

Good Luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kochkat For This Useful Post:
h1llhouz (03-31-2009), starr_poet (12-05-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 08:09 PM

i will check it out further too - thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 03:25 AM
Alferd Packer fan

I think they bit off more than they could chew. Great idea, but before going national they should have tried it on a specific state.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cornered For This Useful Post:
h1llhouz (03-31-2009), starr_poet (12-05-2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 03:07 PM

I just tried again - but message says site unavailable.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 PM

I did a whois search for that site and it came back as belonging to 'Expungement Assistance Services, Inc. Herndon, VA 5707088780 a search for them brings this:

"Expungement Assistance Services, Inc. (EAS) – Lexington; Founded in 2006, EAS is a leading provider of criminal records clearing assistance services in the U.S. and is a client of the Lexington ICC. EAS is developing a Web-based business automation solution to navigate qualified clients through completing the forms needed for records expungement, clemency and pardon. EAS’s technology solutions will be aimed at easing a client’s ability to determine eligibility and, if eligible, to assist in the records clearing process."

I registered and have not found a single listing other than 'not rated' meaning they have no clue what the companies policy is and many listed jobs say outright that they do a background check and that you need a clean background.

This leads me to believe that they will contact people who sign up and are eligible for expungement so they can sell that service. When you say what state you have a record in the questions that come back are about expungement also and not about lengths needed to outlive a background check limit for that state - further proof its not about employment.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like a marketing tool in the works for their real business.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gridlocked For This Useful Post:
h1llhouz (03-31-2009), RobTheGreat (03-05-2009), virgo-grambo (02-22-2009)
Old 12-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Alferd Packer fan

And here we are, convicted, and criminals like them get away with fleecing us! The xxxxxxxxxx!
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Old 12-28-2008, 12:15 PM

Default I believe Hard 2Hire.Org Is Not Legit

I signed up with Hard2Hire.org and all the jobs they posted have not been certified as Felony Friendly, but Non-Rated, they tell us to give them time to totally organize the program, they should have had the program up and ready to go before making themsleves Known to the Ex-Offender Community. What poor Strategy and Planning by the organizers of this program and website. They shouldn't have given us false hope like that, and expect us to trust them in helping us with our job search needs in the future. It sounds like a "Marketing Scam" to me.

Last edited by Freeman111; 12-28-2008 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: left out words and miss-spellings
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeman111 For This Useful Post:
h1llhouz (03-31-2009)
Old 12-28-2008, 12:29 PM
all by myself

Thanked 1,352 Times in 752 Posts

unfortently the problem with websites like that is not all companies want to make it known they hire ex felons i don't kow if you can do this but i think a good idea would be to contact the work release in your area they have lists of jobs that will hire regarless of your record but i don't know if they'll give that info out, my bro was working for a company on work release made 8 an hour when he was released he applied directly to the company and got 13 an hour of course couple weeks later he got laid off and now he can't find nothing along with my father who was a record

Old 12-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Donation Award 

In September I registered with Hard to Hard and received the following email from them:

Quote:
Thank you for registering with Hard2Hire. We are hard at work compiling a database of job postings from progressive employers in your area. We'll match these postings against the skill set and record information that you provided. This process matches you only with employers that would seriously consider your application, saving you time and effort.

Here's How the Process Works:

* You've already taken the first step -- registering on Hard2Hire.org. Since you've gotten this message, you can be assured that your information is on file and we're scanning our databases for matches even now. Registering more than once won't increase your chances of creating a match.
* Once we have determined a match, we'll forward your information to the compatible employer.
* The employer will contact you directly if they would like you to interview or to formally apply for the position. The employer will provide you with additional information regarding the position and their specific needs.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Hard2Hire.org
They had thousands of jobs listed at that time and most of them were rated. Shortly after that in early October the site went down, and when it came back up 99% of the jobs listed had been removed and what is now there, is not rated.

It's really unfortunately that this appears not to be legit, because it certainly is a good idea.

Last edited by justvicki; 12-28-2008 at 12:52 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to justvicki For This Useful Post:
h1llhouz (03-31-2009)
Old 12-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Ant's Wife:Thanks for your valuable Input

I agree, I do believe there’s a lot of companies that would hire Ex-Felons, but it's a shame that they must be so secretive about hiring from our population, we served our time whether it's prison, parole or probation, it's unfair that we’re so stigmatized by the help of media, some in the general public, and politicians in such a fashion that organizations feel like they have to sneak around and hire us when it should be a positive thing, not negative, they should be proud and open about giving Ex-Felons a chance to turn their lives around and become law abiding productive tax-payers instead of tax burdens on Society, our Society want and demand that all able-bodied adults to be self sufficient, but on the other-hand, they block Ex-Felons from trying to do so, that sounds so hypercritical to me.

Non-Felon Americans’ can't have their cake and eat it too on this issue, if Society wants’ the crime rate to go down and pay less taxes to house offenders, then they should be more than happy to give Ex-Felons the opportunity to make a decent living, have decent housing with no restrictions, and extend credit to them just like they do their fellow Non-Felon Americans, that's why in my opinion, the legal disenfranchisement and discrimination of Ex-Felons in our Society must be eventually outlawed and banned across America in order to allow all Ex-Felons to successfully integrate back into their communities after serving time in prison, and while serving time in their communities on parole or probation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeman111 For This Useful Post:
h1llhouz (03-31-2009), virgo-grambo (02-22-2009)
Old 12-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Lightbulb Americans

The majority of Americans figure that felons get what they deserve and should be punished for life for what they've done.We won't be getting any sympathy there.

I would also advise everyone to avoid EAS or their subsidiaries such as Hard 2 Hire. They told us that they could provide us with an expungement for my father who has a Federal conviction.

As it turned out they sent us an application for a Presidential Pardon that we could have downloaded ourselves.

I have since reported them to the Kentucky AG.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Allendair For This Useful Post:
h1llhouz (03-31-2009), RobTheGreat (03-05-2009)
Old 12-28-2008, 04:00 PM

Default JustVicki: Thanks For Your Comment On This Issue

Thanks for our comment, it least in the beginning Hard2Hire did have rated job postings for Ex-Felons to apply to for employment opportunities with organizations who where open-minded enough to hire people from our population. I hope they can get things organized again and started rating potential employers who would consider hiring Ex-Felons.

I was unfairly convicted of a Felony crime in 1986, at age 26, I'm 49 now, I served all my year and a half sentence on parole, never spent time in prison for the conviction, but instead the parole board paroled me out as soon as I arrived at the prison reception center, after my parole, I worked at 3 major restaurants as an Restaurant Manager, I turned legally blind in 1996 from several years of having glaucoma in both eyes, So I had to quite the Restaurant business, because I was no longer able to perform the essential duties that the position required due to my disability.

After being a Restaurant Manager, I went back to school while on disability and earned a BS degree in Human Resources MGT and a MS degree in Organization and Management with a Specialization in Leadership, also have a AAS degree in Hospitality Foodservice/Restaurant MGT, which is no good to me now, because working in Restaurants is no longer safe for me due to being legally blind.

But I said all of that to say this: that I now have a "Double Whammy", I'm a "College-Educated Felon" and now "Legally Blind" from having "Glaucoma", I'm still on SSDI, but I desire to work in the field I was trained to work in, or something similar, and it's been very difficult for me to find gainful employment; even though I'm college educated. I thought Hard2Hire could help with my job search initiative since it claimed to be Felon-Oriented, what a bummer. I hope things change for me and all others in the Ex-Felon Population, because we need jobs and decent housing in order to survive just like our Non-Felon Americans, We're people too, and should have a second chance opportunity to make a living and be productive law abiding taxpayers in our communities too, I want to be a tax-payer, not a tax burden on American Society.

We need to try and do something about this since masses of Ex-Felons who were allowed to vote voted for Obama in this election cycle for Hope and Change, because the overall Ex-Felon Population want to be included in that Hope and Change process after Obama takes office soon. Our Movement Motto or Slogan should be: "No Representation, Then No Vote" Plain and Simple. Why should we vote for Politicians who fail or refuse to equally represent our population like they do the Non-Felon Population? If things don't change under the new President or Congress, Our Population should no longer vote against our best interest, We should just stay home in protest.

But many Politicians do want our votes now, due to recent close elections, our vote has the ability to tip the scales in candidates favor, We now have a voice in the voting process, So we must make our voices heard on “Hope and Change” as Obama so eloquently spoke about in making his campaign pitch for our votes, including appealing to all other Politicians across this Nation to start overturning laws that legally allow discrimination and disenfranchisement of the Ex-Population in the areas of employment, housing, and extending us credit, it's also time we make our plea to have Politicians pass laws that would make us an "Protective Class" just like people with disabilities, the law is not perfect but at least there are laws on the books to protect various rights for the Disabled Population, and if Politicians want the Ex-Felon Population votes, they must be able and willing to earn it while in public office.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:07 PM

Thumbs up Obama

I think that if anyone is going to do anything for us, Obama will.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 AM

The job search is back up now and you can see the employer ratings again when you create an account. The only thing a that is different is that it's http://www.hard2hire.com for the new site instead of of .org and now it has stuff for disabled, and laid off people too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Change72 For This Useful Post:
kindra_antoin (02-25-2009), Ms. pooh (02-18-2009)
Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 AM
aka

Thumbs up agree

I totally agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman111 View Post
I agree, I do believe there’s a lot of companies that would hire Ex-Felons, but it's a shame that they must be so secretive about hiring from our population, we served our time whether it's prison, parole or probation, it's unfair that we’re so stigmatized by the help of media, some in the general public, and politicians in such a fashion that organizations feel like they have to sneak around and hire us when it should be a positive thing, not negative, they should be proud and open about giving Ex-Felons a chance to turn their lives around and become law abiding productive tax-payers instead of tax burdens on Society, our Society want and demand that all able-bodied adults to be self sufficient, but on the other-hand, they block Ex-Felons from trying to do so, that sounds so hypercritical to me.

Non-Felon Americans’ can't have their cake and eat it too on this issue, if Society wants’ the crime rate to go down and pay less taxes to house offenders, then they should be more than happy to give Ex-Felons the opportunity to make a decent living, have decent housing with no restrictions, and extend credit to them just like they do their fellow Non-Felon Americans, that's why in my opinion, the legal disenfranchisement and discrimination of Ex-Felons in our Society must be eventually outlawed and banned across America in order to allow all Ex-Felons to successfully integrate back into their communities after serving time in prison, and while serving time in their communities on parole or probation.
The Following User Says Thank You to virgo-grambo For This Useful Post:
h1llhouz (03-31-2009)
Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 AM
aka

I thought it sums it up quite nicely.Now what can we do to make it happen?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:29 AM

If you read the fine print you'll see the "ratings" on the jobs (felon friendly, etc) mean nothing.

"Job ratings shown are, in most cases, based upon industry standards"

They don't ask the company if they'll hire us, they just put the rating on there. And not even consistant with it. Same job, same company, and one says felon friendly and one says not.

I'm not saying don't use them, just saying don't believe their rating system of who is felon friendly and who isn't because they don't even check.

“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Benjamin Franklin
The Following User Says Thank You to LetMeLiveAgain For This Useful Post:
h1llhouz (03-31-2009)
Old 03-09-2009, 02:00 PM

Default Give your 2 cents

they got forums where you can say what you want on their site if you already signed up http://www.hard2hire.com/talk/
The Following User Says Thank You to Change72 For This Useful Post:
h1llhouz (03-31-2009)
Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Yes!

I have just logged on and signed up with them. It is quite informative as the individual employers are rated on their 'friendliness' ....

Thanks for the post,

Quote:
Originally Posted by safarigirlnj View Post
Anyone have any luck using this free job site that purports to have companies with job openings that are open to people with criminal backgrounds? w w w hard2hire Every time I log on it says "search temporarily unavailable". It sounds too good to be true.

Thanks, Lisa
Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochkat View Post
I googled them a few weeks ago....found some negative feedback on the guy who is starting it up.....They just started the site this year....do a little research. I think they are just trying to get people to enroll....I choose to back out of the system after doing some research first. I know they are listed as a non-profit. I am not giving my personal information to anyone unless I know that they are legitimate!

Good Luck!
That phone number belongs to Children and Family Connections, they subcontract from the Goverment to do the job of DCF. However, abusing family rights is what they do best, if you search online for "DCF LIED", you will find hundreds of thousands of greiving families who have had their child whisked away... basically there is no oversight, and retaliation is rampant in their organization, no one person in Govt will touch the CFC since the Govt protects them all the way. If you have trouble with them, you will find that even lawyers run the opposite directions because of the maze of lies on which they base what they do.

IMO, this entity CFC is put in place to hurt children and families. Their one purpose is to secure tomorrows delinquencies. They are making a need for themselves and I suppose now getting them out of Jail and throwing them into the army is next, all drugged up and ready to do anything for freedom. It is a profitable business, these so called "non profit" entities; subcontracted out by the Govt for the usual kickbacks...

May god help us.

PS, when you do the search on DCF lied, do pay attention to how frantic these parents sound... it could be your door they come knocking on next, and god help you that you don't get one at your door. One last thing, be nice to everyone, the last thing you need is an enemy making up lies on you and CFC filling their quota with your child(ren).

Last edited by Veronicalives; 04-08-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 PM

Default This is a good site

I have used this site and it is very good. I did not have to supply any vital info, and I was able to pre-screen potential rejections. Try this site it is very helpful.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPOLLO View Post
I have used this site and it is very good. I did not have to supply any vital info, and I was able to pre-screen potential rejections. Try this site it is very helpful.
How were you able to pre-screen potential rejections?

“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Default Not sure their rating system is Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo-grambo View Post
I totally agree
==================
I've applead to a bunch of "felony" friendly listings - finally got an interview with Goodwill Industries. I made it to their short list of only 2 candidates - I was not hired because of my non-violent felony - no other convictions - not even a parking ticket. . .