Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Louisiana News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Louisiana prison system.

View Poll Results: Would you like to see second chances given to violent offenders?
Yes 36 27.69%
No 9 6.92%
Yes, if they can prove they deserve it 79 60.77%
Need more information 8 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Diane Stephens

Thumbs up Change IV Real

See www.changeivreal.com to help change some laws in Louisiana.

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diane135130 For This Useful Post:
determined823 (11-11-2009), mrs.mac (06-28-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Founder/Park Bench Apostl

What would be the criteria of proof that the individual will not continue in violent acts?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Diane Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. Russ View Post
What would be the criteria of proof that the individual will not continue in violent acts?
Thank you for asking Russ. Of course, there is no absolute proof but there are signs throughout the years of incarceration that point to rehabilitation. These signs are noted in the following manner:

1. Lack of disciplinary reports over most recent 10 years.
2. Involvement in higher education
3. Involvement in counseling other inmates and urging/teaching them better ways in which to channel their energy
4. Involvement in programs that interact with prison administrative staff
5. Overall demeanor/attitude/level of respect throughout each day of the incarceration

Russ, many of the inmates who have committed violent and/or other offenses that resulted in lengthy sentences, have taken it upon themselves to utilize that incarceration to grow within themselves. I personally know several inmates who, if released today, I would confidently state that they would never commit another crime in the remainder of their entire life. You see, after having served over 10 years, you will either be a better person and have learned your lesson....or you won't! That's the bottom line. Yes, there are many who will never deserve that second chance because they have yet to figure it out. But there are those who do deserve it and are unable to obtain that second chance due the laws in Louisiana that do not permit a sentence to be changed once it has begun and all collateral review exhausted within the court.

This creates a problem since it takes longer than the length of time to fight the conviction/sentence for an offender to really make that change within himself.

I personally believe that most offenders do not get long enough sentences. Those are the repeat offenders who keep going back and forth to prison. They are the ones who are creating the high recidivism percentage in our state and they harm everyone else in the process.

It will require a closer examination of each individual to ascertain whether or not rehabilitation has occurred, but it can be done through prison records, phone calls to prison staff and documentation of accolades throughout the length of incarceration. Judges should have the discretion to view the offender's progress from the beginning of the incarceration to the present request for amendment to reduce sentence.

This is the same criteria that should be addressed during the parole and/or pardon process. But it rarely is used. Instead, everyone is focusing on the crime itself...nothing else!

I will go one step further because I believe it is so important. There are many incarcerated women who have life sentences for killing their husband/boyfriend. Many of these women were convicted during a time when there was no "battered womens syndrome" defense. Now, however, that defense is widely used, and appropriately so. Also, you may or may not know that in the State of Louisiana, if you are in the vicinity, or just happen to be in the "wrong place at the wrong time", you will be charged with the same offense as the person who did the crime and also sentenced as if you did the crime too. This is so important and it's what a group of us from LCIW made very clear to young elementary students on our trips to speak. We were trying to impress upon them the importance of making the correct choices, whether it be the choice of a friend, or whom to get into a car with, or even to walk to the store with. Most of us do these things without thinking, but I can tell you from experience that those of us who did a lot of time in prison, never stop thinking about it.

I would also like to point out that offenders make excellent employees since they have been so disciplined during their incarceration. They will be prompt, hard-working and try harder than any other employee, as they have so much more to prove...not only to their employer but to themselves as well.

Again, I thank you for your questions and if you have more, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to diane135130 For This Useful Post:
4real4real (06-28-2009), dallaswife2b (06-28-2009), determined823 (11-11-2009), John2126 (06-29-2009), kj92363 (06-28-2009), pmitch10 (06-29-2009)
Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 AM
Diane Stephens

Thumbs up

for your interest....

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Donation Award 

No better truth than from somebody who has actually been there, done that. Thank you for your commitment Diane for helping to improve the lives and the futures of those that are incarcerated for years while turning their lives around for the better and extending out a hand to help others. There is no better example of love in action. God bless you and your work and your care and commitment.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmitch10 View Post
No better truth than from somebody who has actually been there, done that. Thank you for your commitment Diane for helping to improve the lives and the futures of those that are incarcerated for years while turning their lives around for the better and extending out a hand to help others. There is no better example of love in action. God bless you and your work and your care and commitment.
Diane, indeed, God bless you and your work! I can't add anything to what pmitch10 has already stated so well. I don't live in Lousiana, but PM me if I can be of any assistance from Missouri.

John

Can we have a treat?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 AM

diane, I admire your work efforts, but it is going to take a lot to turn the laws of Louisiana around and it needs more than just you and me. Whatever you need me to do please feel free and ask me I will be more than willing to help. I have wrote you a few times asking you about the risk review panel. I still haven't heard anything from those people.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Diane Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmitch10 View Post

Thank you so much for your kind words and support!

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Diane Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlynnrich View Post
diane, I admire your work efforts, but it is going to take a lot to turn the laws of Louisiana around and it needs more than just you and me. Whatever you need me to do please feel free and ask me I will be more than willing to help. I have wrote you a few times asking you about the risk review panel. I still haven't heard anything from those people.

If you want to help change the law, please get this message to as many Louisianans as possible. I will eventually print the poll from here and the poll from my website when I search for a legislative member to support the bill. Trust me, if we can get enough people in favor, the reps and senators will address. Their biggest concern is that they will lose votes. We want to show them that they won't lose, but will instead, GAIN votes. There are so many people in Louisiana with family members or friends who are incarcerated these days. So, bottom line, we have to get exposed to the public of Louisiana in whatever way is necessary...I've emailed everybody I know regarding this site and my site.

As for the Risk Review, have you contacted the proper person? You need to talk to the person who actually prepares the dockets. There is one for each region. Check DOC's website to find who they are.

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

Last edited by SpunkyMonkey; 06-29-2009 at 10:33 AM..
Old 07-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Diane Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlynnrich View Post

Please email me from the site and I will give you my suggestion as to how you can help. Thanks

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Diane Stephens

Hey everybody...what's up?
I don't seem to be getting too much support lately and we REALLY need your support if we are going to make any positive changes in this state.

Please read and respond in your spare time.

Thank you!

www.changeivreal.com
http://community2.myfoxdfw.com/servi...77477&as=78592

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 PM
aLL tHiNgS r PoSSibLe
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,070 Times in 556 Posts

Diane,

I just want to thank you for all your hard work and continuted commitment to this effort. This is a great website and I would suggest everybody in Louisiana check it out and give feedback.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Diane Stephens

Thank you so much for your comment. I needed that! Would you please forward the website link to all your family and friends and ask them to do the poll and write a comment in the guest book. That is my only means in which to prove to the legislative members that their is support for this very much needed change in the law. Thank you!!!!!

Thank you!
Diane Stephens

www.changeivreal.com

The Following User Says Thank You to diane135130 For This Useful Post:
jadah (11-23-2009)
Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 PM

I do believe that everyone deserves a second chance. You never know what that person was going through that day. What if the Lord never gave us a chance to repent? I'm certain you've repented more than once.