Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Missouri DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Missouri Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:27 PM

Default Need info on Bonne Terre and 120-day shock please

I have a few questions...Maybe you can help...My son is looking at either a 120 or his back up which is 5 years.
1. Where is Bonne Terre located, and what is it called. - If he does a 120 they are talking about sending him there for the "drug" Program.
2. Can anyone tell me about "The Drug" program at Bonne Terre" As far as what he will be going through ( The Good Things,and The Bad Things Please.)
3. A friend of the family said the other day that Missouri State Inmates usually spend about 2 months for every year they are sentenced and that he won't be there for a full 5 years. *Is this true* Please include any/all info you can for me about this facility. this is his first time going to prison....thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to sheamattingly For This Useful Post:
lizzybean (09-01-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2009, 04:25 PM
The Answer Man

I was there not long ago. A 120 is referred to as a drug program sometimes, but it is not. You sit for 120 days, and then a judge looks at your record while you were there and decides if you will receive probation for the rest of the time, or do the 5 years.

Also, non violent offenders do 15% of their sentence before seeing parole board, and are usually paroled the first time they see the board.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickformato For This Useful Post:
StormChild (10-25-2009)
Old 10-24-2009, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info. So if he has 5 years, how long do you think he will be in there? Could you tell me a little bit more as far as the conditions, visits, rec time, violence....Thanks Again

Also, are they allowed to take the medication that they are prescribed while in there.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:05 AM
Walking the Walk
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,372 Times in 774 Posts

Welcome to PTO and to our Missouri corner. I know the circumstances that have brought you here aren't happy ones, but having others around who know what you're going through and are dealing with exactly the same issues can at least give you the support and knowledge to get through this.

First, Bonne Terre is in the eastern part of the state, south of St. Louis. The facility is called the Eastern Reception, Diagnostic and Correctional Center. You'll find some more information on the facility on the DOC website here. He will most likely spend all of his 120-day shock program there, but if he's required to stay for the entire 5-year sentence there's a good chance that he'll be moved to another facility. I'd suggest contacting them for information on the next Family Orientation day, so you can find out exactly what this will mean for him.

As for medication, he's unlikely to be allowed to continue with medications he was prescribed outside. If he has a meds that he needs to take, I'd strongly recommend he sees Medical as early as possible to see if they'll prescribe the same meds. Be aware that they might not, and if it's vital that he have them you might have to be prepared to push the issue on his behalf. Getting a HIPAA authorisation from him before he goes in is always a prudent thing to do.

The best advice I can give is for him to keep his head down and act right while he's there. If he keeps to himself, doesn't involve himself in prison politics and remembers that he's working towards coming home then he should be fine.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Yella's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheamattingly View Post
Thanks for the info. So if he has 5 years, how long do you think he will be in there? Could you tell me a little bit more as far as the conditions, visits, rec time, violence....Thanks Again

Also, are they allowed to take the medication that they are prescribed while in there.

Shea, I could tell you anything you wanted to know about Bonne Terre. If you have any q's just let me know.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:18 PM

If he was sentenced to a 120, then he will do 120 days from the day he entered ERDCC (Prison). Of course this assumes he has no problems that might cause the judge to give him his full sentence of 5 years. Most times they are released after the 120 if all is well. At the facility he is at (Reception and Diagnostic), there is really not much to do. You are allowed out of your cell 2 times per day for phone calls and what they call rec. Means you can walk around the housing unit, make calls, play cards and that's about it. If he is in 10 house, it is an open dorm type housing unit. There are no cells, but the risk is greater for problems when you have alot of guys that aren't really supervised very well and in an open environment. Hope this helps some..
Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Account Closed

It is my understanding that the 120 shock works like this. John Doe gets convicted of a class D felony and is sentence to 5 year on PROBATION with 120 shock and FOUR years back up. If the back up is FIVE years then that makes it a Class C felony. John Doe goes to prison and after 30 days is sent to Tipton to complete the 120. He is release back to his home County and must report to his Probation Officer. His Five years on PROBATION starts then. If John Doe wises up and doesnt get into any trouble at the end of the five years he is cut lose. If however he messes up and his PROBATION is revoked off he goes to do his FOUR year sentence.
He will spend 15% of the FOUR years in Prison. This works out to about 8 months. None of the 120 days counts toward this 8 month time frame. Also, his second trip to prison is counted as his first trip. He would go before the Parole board sometime in his fourth month. They will approve of his release as space is limited and they need to turn over the bed. He goes back to the County Probation and Parole office and starts his PAROLE. The eight months he spent in Prison plus the 40 months he spends on Parole make up the total 4 year sentence. You can do up to the 5 years of Probation and still have to do the 4 year deal. The 120 day shock time is only good for the Criminal if he takes advantage of his 120 days to not get into trouble again for the next five years.

I hope that is clear.

I will tell you this, there was a guy doing 120 shock at Tipton and the guys got ahold of some blank parole papers. They filled them out with the guys name and number and such. They gave them to a guard to give to the guy. The Papers stated that the guys 120 had be cancelled and he was going to have to do the whole 4 years. It was just a joke. A mean one, but just a joke. Before anyone could tell him it was a joke, he started crying. Crying is not something to do in prison. Men cant handle crying. After about four hours or so, he was told the truth. I am sure looking back on it, he is laughing. But not as hard as we were.

Good luck to you and Merry Christmas All. Prison is not as bad a place as you fear it is. Just a big WASTE OF TIME.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
LizzyBean

My husband was put in a 120 itc or Ict with a 5yr back up he is currently at erdcc but says he may get moved he tells me that it's actually 84 dys from when he gets out of r&o. does anyone have experience with this ict thing he tells me it's like a boot camp in the prison and how long will he actually be there and will he go before the parole board to get released or will he be on probation still. He went in for a probation violation. Thanks.. Hope I make sence I am on an iPod trying to type..
Old 12-20-2010, 03:08 AM

Talking Bonne Terre Information

I'm from bonne terre had friends and family serve there while waiting to get sent off else where. And my aunt and cousin both work there (wierd family i know) but it is a nice place compared to most places but I know in the reception area you don't get contact visits I might be wrong for a 120. If it were me I would accept the 120 it just looks better on paper then a 5 year sentence when he gets done. Most people don't understand (employers, family, friends, law enforcement) how much time he really served and for what type of crime but a 120 just sounds....gentler....not like criminal type stuff. It's on 2727 Hwy K, Bonne Terre, Mo 63628 if you wanna google it. And they do the puppies for parol program but that's usually just for long-time offenders. My friend did a 120 there, but it didn't change him much he ended up right back so as far as treatment programs they only help if you want the help. But it's cleaner and newly built so I would recomend it over most places. Either way be happy that he's got only 120 days. He does right he will be home soon. I hope I helped some.