Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 AM

Default Prison Gang Validation, policy & procedure questions

I received a letter from my husband today, he's currently in the hole in Ironwood. He asked that I look in to what "prison validation" means. He didnt specifically say he spoke to his counsler, but said they want to categorize him as validated because they're saying he's institutionalized. Has anyone heard of this and if so, what does it mean? Thank you for any information.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2008, 12:44 AM

The only Validation I know of in a Prison setting is for a Prison Gang.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:23 AM

Default Gang validation, policy & procedure questions

My love is under investigation. There either going to or trying to validate him. I'm confused to what this all means? What changes? How will it affect him? If anyone can share with me I would greatly appriciate it!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenny View Post
My love is under investigation. There either going to or trying to validate him. I'm confused to what this all means? What changes? How will it affect him? If anyone can share with me I would greatly appriciate it!
I'm not sure but I think that validation just means they will be deciding which prison to send him to for the rest of his sentence, they call it being "mainlined". They add up all his "points" to get his level and then "validate" him to go to a particular prison. I think, really not at all sure of this.

My son is a level one, the lowest level and I think a huge majority of the inmates in California are level one and level two.

Someone will be along shortly to correct me on all this but as far as I know Validation is not something to be afraid of.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattsmominNY For This Useful Post:
yenny (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

Actually I think to be validated means they are saying you are in a gang. I am not sure but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I also do not know what happens after someone is validated but again I am sure someone will come along and let us know.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaa View Post
Actually I think to be validated means they are saying you are in a gang. I am not sure but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I also do not know what happens after someone is validated but again I am sure someone will come along and let us know.

Well, once again I was totally wrong. Why can't they just say what they mean??? Oh right, that would make it too easy for us to understand what the heck they are doing.

Thanks, shaa, for setting me straight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattsmominNY For This Useful Post:
Shari (07-01-2009), yenny (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaa View Post
To be validated means they are labeling the person as being involved in a Prison Gang...Than they usually do a SHU term....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MitosWifee! For This Useful Post:
afirsttimer (07-25-2010), yenny (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 PM
grateful for my Man!
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,138 Times in 1,606 Posts

and SHU term means much less privileges. ... if I am right the parcels are restricted in what they are allowed to get.... visiting might be influenced as well; I am not sure if in SHU exists contact visits. I only know while normal hole times they last longer, and visits are allowed after a time, these are behind glass.

no good news, i am sorry.

the way the other acts is his karma and responsibility, the way I respond is mine!
The Following User Says Thank You to Shush For This Useful Post:
yenny (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
PRAY on 13th of Month

http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfi...1/r0635-01.pdf

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=101501841

May I suggest contacting Prison Focus who sells a Manual on Gang Validation. At one time they would mail it to the Inmate, but I think it is NO LONGER getting into the Prison's.

Gang Validation Manual ©2004 ($20)
Old 07-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Bottom line, if he is validated then he is a confirmed gang member (prison or otherwise) and he will spend the rest of his sentence in the SHU, and any subsequent time he might do will have the automatic gang enhancement.

All around - a bad thing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChocoholicMom For This Useful Post:
esteli (07-27-2009), Tuesday123 (09-06-2010), yenny (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Busy Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,988 Times in 1,085 Posts

I don't think being validated means he'll spend the remainder of his sentence in the SHU. I believe it means it will be in his C-file that he has been validated as a "gang member" and he could/will receive a indeterminate SHU term. Indeterminate meaning there is no set amount of time on how long he'll be there it could be 10 months, a year and so on...

CA Moderator
3 Strikes Discussion, In Bull Session,
LAC, SOL, CTF, MCSP, PVSP
The Following User Says Thank You to LuvandLaughsCA For This Useful Post:
yenny (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 01:45 PM

Yup- To be validated means they are labeling the person as being involved in a Prison Gang...

I am not sure about the SHU term, that is not always the case but yes they can include gang enhancement charges in the future if they wish

The Following User Says Thank You to Addicted_one For This Useful Post:
yenny (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,016 Times in 533 Posts

If he is validated he will go to the Shu for the rest of his sentence or until the CDC breaks him and he debriefs and goes to an SNY yard.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Validated

If you are validated, there are at least 3 other inmates that are testifying against you stating that you are affiliated with or part of a prison gang.
You ONLY go to the SHU if you are debriefing "unassociating" yourself from the prison gangs!

However, someone mentioned above that once you have been validated as a "prison" gang member, you will be eligible for all the fun "gang" enhancements! So, if you get into trouble while you are in there, and they send it to the DA, the chances of it getting picked up for prosecution are INCREASED because they will see them as a higher risk!

Once you have been validated, then, you get this fun little thing called a "special condition" of your parole, and that means that you cannot associate with anyone who is a gang member, former gang member, affiliate, associate whether you knew it or not! You should have known, under their fun little rules! So, even if you didn't know, and you are caught, you get to spend more time in prison again!

Otherwise, once you are validated as a "prison" gang member, nothing changes, unless you want to leave that world behind!

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLINUS View Post
If he is validated he will go to the Shu for the rest of his sentence or until the CDC breaks him and he debriefs and goes to an SNY yard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pirateswife For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-01-2009), yenny (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateswife View Post
If you are validated, there are at least 3 other inmates that are testifying against you stating that you are affiliated with or part of a prison gang.
You ONLY go to the SHU if you are debriefing "unassociating" yourself from the prison gangs!

However, someone mentioned above that once you have been validated as a "prison" gang member, you will be eligible for all the fun "gang" enhancements! So, if you get into trouble while you are in there, and they send it to the DA, the chances of it getting picked up for prosecution are INCREASED because they will see them as a higher risk!

Once you have been validated, then, you get this fun little thing called a "special condition" of your parole, and that means that you cannot associate with anyone who is a gang member, former gang member, affiliate, associate whether you knew it or not! You should have known, under their fun little rules! So, even if you didn't know, and you are caught, you get to spend more time in prison again!

Otherwise, once you are validated as a "prison" gang member, nothing changes, unless you want to leave that world behind!

Hope this helps!
I'm sorry, but I really don't think you get validated and then sent back to the mainline/general pop. If that was the case the CDC is wasting their time and money validating anyone. But I must clarify that I am talking about validation for Southern Hispanics. I am assuming it is the same for all prison gangs. But maybe it's not for the smaller gangs like the GBG Boys.

If you are a sureno and validated as a gang member you will go to the Shu until you complete your sentence, debrief or die. And if you do get out, every time you return to prison you will go back to the Shu until you get out, debrief or die. Of course some people debrief right away and then they don't go to the Shu, they go to a SNY yard. My personal feeling is those that debrief immediately, should not have been validated to begin with.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:17 PM

Default I thought validated gang memebers get segregated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateswife View Post

Hope this helps!
I thought once you are validated, they remove you from the general population because they are trying to diminish the gang influence there. I know if you are a highly-ranking gang member and get validated, they will do this. Send you to somewhere like the SHU at Pelican Bay. I think if you are not high-ranking, they still transfer you to either segregation or a special yard such as they have at Pelican Bay where they hold only validated gang members. They want to remove as many gang members from the general population as possible. That is one of the main purposes of validation (as well as set you up for the gang enhancements down the road).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonFromWI For This Useful Post:
Tuesday123 (09-06-2010), yenny (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 PM

Default The GBG Boys?

Quote:
I am assuming it is the same for all prison gangs. But maybe it's not for the smaller gangs like the GBG Boys.
Who are they? That's a new one on me!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Banned

No, he will not spend all his time in the SHU. They will investigate him and see how involved he is. he may go to the SHU and he may not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoholicMom View Post
Bottom line, if he is validated then he is a confirmed gang member (prison or otherwise) and he will spend the rest of his sentence in the SHU, and any subsequent time he might do will have the automatic gang enhancement.

All around - a bad thing.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

Ok, that makes no sense, they do not take all the validated gang memebers and put them all on one yard. They will take the high ranking ones, SHU term them and then seperate all the others to diminish contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromWI View Post
I thought once you are validated, they remove you from the general population because they are trying to diminish the gang influence there. I know if you are a highly-ranking gang member and get validated, they will do this. Send you to somewhere like the SHU at Pelican Bay. I think if you are not high-ranking, they still transfer you to either segregation or a special yard such as they have at Pelican Bay where they hold only validated gang members. They want to remove as many gang members from the general population as possible. That is one of the main purposes of validation (as well as set you up for the gang enhancements down the road).
Old 07-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Banned

Gay boy gangsters....they are gay wanna be gangsters.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromWI View Post
Who are they? That's a new one on me!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Hangin' in there - Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,942 Times in 7,126 Posts

Validated gang members who *do not debrief* may or may not go to the SHU for an indeterminate length of time.

Validated gang members who DO debrief (tell the investigative body everything they know or what that body wants to hear) typically go into Protective Custody.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
lulu530 (09-06-2010), Mrs.760 (04-04-2010), PTO-79211 (07-23-2009), sidewalker (07-01-2009), yenny (07-01-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 PM

Smile Thanks

I just want to thank all for there input amd information. It really helps to get an insight on what it means. Althought it doesn't sound like anything good. But i'll just handle the situtation as it comes. Again thanks to all!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenny View Post
I just want to thank all for there input amd information. It really helps to get an insight on what it means. Althought it doesn't sound like anything good. But i'll just handle the situtation as it comes. Again thanks to all!
Good luck and feel free to come to PTO not only for questions but support when you need it.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

Klinus,
I've noticed you are always helpful and courteous in your replies so thank you. BTW, beuatiful little girl.

Quote:
Good luck and feel free to come to PTO not only for questions but support when you need it.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:16 PM

GBG = Gay Boy Gansters. They are a PC gang. Seriously.