Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 PM

Default Question for those with Faith

I am Jewish, but I do not believe in the absolute existence of a higher power. I might be labeled an atheist, but I'm not because I pray. Whenever anyone asks me to pray for them, I do. They think my offering up a prayer for them will help, and I want to respect that in my efforts to help and comfort them (even though none of them know I pray for them). My question is: do you, as someone of faith, think my prayers, prayers from a borderline atheist, actually do any good?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Hangin' in there - Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,652 Times in 7,050 Posts

I DO believe in a Divine Presence (by whatever name) and yes, I think your prayers do help...Even if only by virtue of adding a little more positive energy to the universe and by comforting those for whom you pray.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
allmb (05-17-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel'sChosen View Post
I am Jewish, butI do not believe in the absolute existence of a higher power. I might be labeled an atheist, but I'm not because I pray. Whenever anyone asks me to pray for them, I do. They think my offering up a prayer for them will help, and I want to respect that in my efforts to help and comfort them (even though none of them know I pray for them). My question is: do you, as someone of faith, think my prayers, prayers from a borderline atheist, actually do any good?
Well who are you praying to then? If you don't believe that a higher power exists than what do you say when you pray & who are you praying to

Based on the fact that I am Christian, to answer your question...No, *I* don't believe your prayers are doing any good.

What I am taught is that you have to have faith in order to recieve anything from God & if you don't believe then you don't have faith.

No Christian on this website who knows the word of God should challange that.

**Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

"Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breath more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours".

Last edited by DianeDavis; 05-11-2010 at 08:28 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DianeDavis For This Useful Post:
dutchgirl1 (12-05-2011), karr (05-14-2010), PEZ (12-02-2011), Skyking2 (01-09-2012), WJD (04-08-2012)
Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 AM
I love my doofas!

Thanked 7,155 Times in 3,740 Posts

I dont think any one of us can say with certainty whether your prayers are doing any good or not. Really none of us can know that.

But I think that although you dont believe in a higher power, your heart and soul are still offering kindness & comfort to another human being - so thats something to commend.

The Following User Says Thank You to J&D7 For This Useful Post:
countryzgirl (12-29-2011)
Old 05-14-2010, 08:34 AM
PRAYER IS POWERFUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeDavis View Post
Well who are you praying to then? If you don't believe that a higher power exists than what do you say when you pray & who are you praying to

Based on the fact that I am Christian, to answer your question...No, *I* don't believe your prayers are doing any good.

What I am taught is that you have to have faith in order to recieve anything from God & if you don't believe then you don't have faith.

**Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
I completely agree. You have to have some belief otherwise who are you talking to? Also as a Christian believer, who knows first hand the power of prayer, it is a must to believe He will listen to you and answer you. I just dont understand how you can pray and not believe that something is gonna happen. Why bother if there is no belief? Also if these people dont know you pray then it dont make sense that you do it so not to hurt there feelings. I will pray that God shows you Himself and gives you a greater understanding of Himself.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

i Certainly agree with the Hebrew Text 100%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karr For This Useful Post:
DianeDavis (05-14-2010), dutchgirl1 (12-05-2011)
Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
JOKE <3

It seems you must have faith in something if you feel the need to-or are-praying. You said "borderline atheist"...so it seems you are riding the fence, so to speak.

I believe God hears our prayers and He answers them in His way and in His time. But i also believe that it is necessary for us to have utmost faith in Him and His will.

Who is to say whether or not they help anyone...but deep down inside im betting you think they could or will-or why would you?

All of these things are JMO, of course. But i do pray that you find some resolution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kariray For This Useful Post:
dutchgirl1 (12-05-2011), karr (10-06-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 AM

Thanked 3,980 Times in 902 Posts

Quote:
I am Jewish, but I do not believe in the absolute existence of a higher power. I might be labeled an atheist, but I'm not because I pray. Whenever anyone asks me to pray for them, I do. They think my offering up a prayer for them will help, and I want to respect that in my efforts to help and comfort them (even though none of them know I pray for them). My question is: do you, as someone of faith, think my prayers, prayers from a borderline atheist, actually do any good?
Though you asked people of faith and I am an atheist, I thought you might be interested in my opinion too. I believe that such prayer does, in fact, do good. If you use prayer as a templet to focus positive energy toward a specific outcome or purpose then I believe it has use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allmb For This Useful Post:
LeBeau (05-17-2010), NY-Done (06-07-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 AM
I Smell Shenanigans

Thanked 2,366 Times in 1,115 Posts

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with the religious folk for once and say who are you talking to? I cant answer this question for you seeing as I am an agnostic atheist and flat out believe prayer doesn't work period. Faith or no faith in my opinion because there are people that believe and have faith and pray constantly and nothing comes of it and if it does it's usually something small or trivial that they claim "god" has helped them with. There are soooo many BIG problems in the world that one could pray for and if this god has so much power etc then why doesn't he do anything major to show that he IS capable and does exist. But it seems like instead I'll hear someone say "I prayed for a car and god gave it to me". So god took the time out of his oh so busy schedule to make sure you have a car instead of healing a terminally ill or dying person . I think prayer is just a comfort for people in they're "time of need" and when they have a stroke of luck attribute it to a supernatural being's work and it reassures them everything is ok, it is there and loves you. I will say this you're post reminded me of an older lady on youtube named nancee. She's a mental health counselor or something but whenever her patients want her to pray for them or with them she will do it to give them comfort. She is an ex-christian turned atheist.

Rest In Peace Chad. I LOVE YOU and I MISS YOU!

The Following User Says Thank You to LeStrange For This Useful Post:
tudora (12-02-2011)
Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

Of course your prayers are being heard, God may even show favor on you because in your heart you have not made this about you, but about the person who needs the prayers. God may even smile at you, saying to HimSelf, it's a beautiful thing when a non believer can say a prayer for a believer. Praise the Lord, Bless Your Soul.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

Oh, I didn't say it but I am a Christian. I don't sound like one, and that's on purpose, I'd rather kill myself than sound like a Christian.

Last edited by NY-Done; 06-07-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Too blessed to be stresse

Well, I'll say it- I'm Christian. I do'nt care if it offends, or if people mock me for it. My faith in God has seen me through so much that I know there is no such thing as "Luck" or positive energy.
Just as those that believe in other things, I have an opinion- except I don't believe that happy molecules change your life or those around you.

That being said, I have all the love in the world for everyone, and when someone asks me to pray, I usually stop and have a one on one with the Lord.
I approach prayer with thought, thanks, and reverence. I think everyone who prays believes in a higher power. Otherwise, why pray?

Holding someone in kind thoughts is one thing, but to pray for healing, or comfort aims an intention at a God. Maybe not my God- but definitely a God.
And there is nothing wrong with that! There is nothing wrong with questioning the presence or absence of the Lord.
I think if you feel the need to pray, then maybe you DO believe in a divine presence. What is it going to hurt to investigate.
Great topic by the way!

John 3:16
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MamaSaid For This Useful Post:
dutchgirl1 (01-11-2012), karr (10-06-2010), Sheyanne (06-09-2010), WJD (04-08-2012)
Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 AM

God answers prayers..it's up to him who prayers he answers.I have always believed in God and do not understand the agnostic or atheist concept.I know i did not create myself...When one look at the perfect design of the universe and ourselves..one see a Supreme Intelligence that is behind it and perfect in every way..that's who God is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheyanne For This Useful Post:
dutchgirl1 (12-05-2011), HesMyForever (06-20-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 AM

With the Christian faith there is more to it than just believing in a supreme being or something absolute. There must be a belief in the savior Jesus Christ. In the Bible it says that no man go to the father except he believe in the son.

Often times we pray loosely to God in an effort to seek his hand while ignoring who he is. If we knew who he is and what he has promised us than instead of always begging for things in our prayers we would be able to praise him for the promises that are being manifested in our lives on a daily basis.

The key to God is based upon faith. Knowing that he is there, knowing that he sent his son to reestablish a broken relationship, and knowing that no matter what (atheist...agnostic....etc) he loves us and will continue to love us.

If you want to know if God is listening or if he hears you....then I suggest asking him and having faith that he will give you the answer....something so simple as "God I need to know if you are real and hear me"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faithfully_luv For This Useful Post:
dutchgirl1 (12-05-2011), karr (12-02-2011), mrschris (01-03-2012)
Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 PM

I agee, faithfully luv. Actually, many would argue that it takes more faith to be an atheist than to believe in God. Faith in random forces of energy, that you yourself are responsible for what comes to you is a very sad way to live. God allows us our will to choose Him freely. Faith is a gift. Once our hearts are open to His everlasting and unconditional grace, mercy, and love we would never again despair over a pointless existence of pain and suffering and nothing to look forward to beyond this life. When you come to know Jesus, the answers to your questions will begin to line up as you bathe yourself in the light of His glory and love, peace and hope. The prayers of a contrite heart are those He will hear...

oops, did I sound like a Christian. That's okay, I'd rather die than deny my Lord and Savior. I too will pray that your heart be opened to the wonders of God's unfailing mercy and love.
The Following User Says Thank You to nvr.alone For This Useful Post:
dutchgirl1 (12-05-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 08:12 AM

Thumbs up

Well said
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfully_luv View Post
With the Christian faith there is more to it than just believing in a supreme being or something absolute. There must be a belief in the savior Jesus Christ. In the Bible it says that no man go to the father except he believe in the son.

Often times we pray loosely to God in an effort to seek his hand while ignoring who he is. If we knew who he is and what he has promised us than instead of always begging for things in our prayers we would be able to praise him for the promises that are being manifested in our lives on a daily basis.

The key to God is based upon faith. Knowing that he is there, knowing that he sent his son to reestablish a broken relationship, and knowing that no matter what (atheist...agnostic....etc) he loves us and will continue to love us.

If you want to know if God is listening or if he hears you....then I suggest asking him and having faith that he will give you the answer....something so simple as "God I need to know if you are real and hear me"
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

I too am a Christian , I am in TOTAL agreement with what Diane wrote , I couldn't have said it better !!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to PEZ For This Useful Post:
dutchgirl1 (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 13,856 Times in 4,367 Posts

the Word of God says............

Matthew 21:21-22.........So Jesus answered and said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree (vs18-20), but also if you say to this mountain, Be removed and be cast into the sea, it will be done. And whatever you ask in prayer, believing, you will recieve.

my own opinion.... the 'mountain' is like the trials and such in our lives.

John 14:12-14....Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

key words here.... he who believes in Me.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 AM
suethompson

I think if you have enough faith to pray, then someone, whomever that may be, will hear you.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM
チェッカー
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,322 Times in 386 Posts

Quote:

I agree with this as well. Only difference is that I will not go as far as to say what God will or will not do. Yes, this is what the Bible tells us and I believe it, and it is MY belief that prayer without faith is useless. On the other hand it is God's job to decide what He will do. Otherwise I am putting limitations on an omnipotent God.
The Following User Says Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
dutchgirl1 (12-06-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 03:44 AM

Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,216 Posts

Look at it this way--your prayers cannot hurt anyone and maybe they can, in fact, help. It is generous and decent of you to pray for others. That, to me, is the point.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:44 AM

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,738 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
The fact that you do pray leads me to believe that you know that there is a higher power, you just question who or what that higher being is.

I did some research on your question and came up with many different answers. Some things came back that God does answer the prayer of the unbeliever, but unfortunately, I was unable to find any scripture that supported that.

What I did find was this:

Does God Hear Unbeliever’s Prayers?
Now let’s answer the question as to whether it does any good for someone who is not a Christian to pray to God and expect Him to hear and answer their prayers. The Bible clearly says that God will not answer prayer requests of those who are not saved nor will He even listen to their prayers (John 9:31). Believers have had their sins forgiven but those who are not Christian are separated from God by their sin (Isaiah 59:2). I Peter 3:12 plainly says that God will hear a believer’s prayer but not those of the unsaved: “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”
Proverbs 1:26-29 speaks to everyone who does not believe in Him and gives a warning for those who don’t that “…when disaster strikes you; I will mock when calamity overtakes you— when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind, when distress and trouble overwhelm you. Then they will call to me but I will not answer; they will look for me but will not find me, since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the LORD.”

Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow....#ixzz1hwFcpnwp

A part of me felt sadness when I found this, but then when I researched it, it was true. I think it is admirable that you really do want to help those who ask you to pray for them, but we are clearly instructed that we are to believe and when we straddle the fence we are doing an injustice not only to God, but to ourselves as well.

Waiting, I have been in perpetual waiting. At the end of the waiting, my family will be reunited and complete. Until then, I will keep waiting, praying, and loving each one with patience and strength. I love you all, I miss you all....until that day comes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OffenderNoMore For This Useful Post:
dutchgirl1 (12-30-2011), mrschris (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 PM
loved!

Thanked 1,143 Times in 712 Posts

i think praying helps the person you're praying for...so long as you let them know you're praying for them. otherwise, i do believe they're just words being thought/spoken. i mean...i agree...who/what are you praying to? perhaps the universe hears your prayers...should the universe be seperate from God (which i don't believe it is)...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Wink Yes & No

Quote:
My question is: do you, as someone of faith, think my prayers, prayers from a borderline atheist, actually do any good?

If you are praying and believe that the prayer is being heard and you truly feel your prayers will make a difference, then YES, I believe they do good.

If you are just giving lip service and don't believe the words you say when you pray or that anything or anyone is actually listening, then there is no heart behind it and your prayers won't do any good.

This is simply my opinion.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Luvsanders

All prayers are heard especially from a sincere heart and you believe and have faith that your prayer was heard...it will be answered