Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Addiction plus Mental Health Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Addiction plus Mental Health Issues Information for addiction with mental disorders/disease.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:44 PM

Default Sheriffs Department released my Suicidal Son

Hello All. I am a Mom of a 23 year old, Son. I live in Texas.
This past weekend, I had called my Insurance company to set up Treatment /Rehab for my Son. I drove out of town to talk to him about it in person. The treatment center could not do an assessment until Monday. I told his father NOT to leave him alone and that I would return to pick him up Monday. I left him at 3 Sunday afternoon, trusting that his Dad would heed my request to watch over My Son.

By 2:00 Monday Morning, I rec'd a call that my Son was at the ER taken there by the Sherrifs office upon being stopped for DUI.
MY SON HAD SWALLOWED AN ENTIRE BOTTLE OF ZANAX!, and they pumped his stomach. The ER had him there at the Max, 2 hours before releasing him to the Sherrifs Dept.
The Sherrifs Department took him away in the police car.
About 30 minutes later the Sherrifs office called my Sons Grandmother to Come and pick up my Son, and to "watch his breathing", then have him turn himself in within 3 days.

So, My son was Suicidal, in need of medical care and was tossed out like yesterday's trash!
So, tomorrow morning I am bringing my Son back to this Sherrifs office to turn himself in.
WHAT THE HELL??? Arent they responsible for his safety? I live hours away, and his Grandmother is NOT a medical professional.

Last edited by jackieoneill; 12-13-2011 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: misspellings
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Ill have you soon princes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieoneill
Hello All. I am a Mom of a 23 year old, Son. I live in Texas.
This past weekend, I had called my Insurance company to set up Treatment /Rehab for my Son. I drove out of town to talk to him about it in person. The treatment center could not do an assessment until Monday. I told his father NOT to leave him alone and that I would return to pick him up Monday. I left him at 3 Sunday afternoon, trusting that his Dad would heed my request to watch over My Son.

By 2:00 Monday Morning, I rec'd a call that my Son was at the ER taken there by the Sherrifs office upon being stopped for DUI.
MY SON HAD SWALLOWED AN ENTIRE BOTTLE OF ZANAX!, and they pumped his stomach. The ER had him there at the Max, 2 hours before releasing him to the Sherrifs Dept.
The Sherrifs Department took him away in the police car.
About 30 minutes later the Sherrifs office called my Sons Grandmother to Come and pick up my Son, and to "watch his breathing", then have him turn himself in within 3 days.

So, My son was Suicidal, in need of medical care and was tossed out like yesterday's trash!
So, tomorrow morning I am bringing my Son back to this Sherrifs office to turn himself in.
WHAT THE HELL??? Arent they responsible for his safety? I live hours away, and his Grandmother is NOT a medical professional.
If they pumped his stomach and they got it out in time, then he was released because he was ok, and it was most likely not seen as a suicide attempt, just disposal of evidence...

So that being said treated it like a normal DUI and they arrested and booked him for a DUI which, you can be released to a "responsible party" in this case grandma.... Even if grandma didn't cone get him they'd give him 12 hours to sober up and they would've let him walk out...
The Following User Says Thank You to I_miss_her For This Useful Post:
jackieoneill (12-15-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Hangin' in there - Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,439 Times in 6,988 Posts

I'm terribly sorry for the situation you're facing and I cannot imagine the depth of your fear for your son's well being but you're blaming the wrong people, Darlin'.
The Deputies did the right thing- they recognized the need for medical care and acted on that need.
Your son was treated and released by the hospital, so a medical professional must have determined his medical condition to be stable enough and, most likely, found him to be alert and oriented.
While I have DEEP reservations about such a prompt medical release in the circumstances you describe, I can't see holding the Sheriff's Department to a higher duty of care than the hospital- they are not medical professionals, either, and can't be required to second guess the E.R. staff's assessment of a patient's fitness for release.

And, despite his grandmother's lack of formal medical training, I would think that she'd be more able to keep an eye on his condition and call 911 if needed than the staff at the jailhouse.

In any event, whatever happens from here forward, your son is presently safe and, I assume, under your diligent care, so it's all as well as it can be under the circumstances.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.

Last edited by LeBeau; 12-14-2011 at 03:23 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
jackieoneill (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 PM

i guess my concerns were that the Hospital released him in the first place. He was NOT responsive, He was breathing on his own, yes. His vitals were ok, I guess, BUT He was like a noodle. He was unaware of his surroundings at all. He could not stand, walk, speak, nothing. His eyes remained closed, his head fell, resting on his chest. It took 4 people to PLACE him in the Squad car, then he just fell over onto the seat. I'm thinking the Sherrifs Dept was scared that my Son would die in their custody.
All that being said, I'm just relieved that he is safe now.
The Following User Says Thank You to jackieoneill For This Useful Post:
LeBeau (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Hangin' in there - Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,439 Times in 6,988 Posts

If the hospital released him in the condition you describe, they should be ashamed and I hope you'll consider lodging a complaint with the hospital's administrators and the State medical authority. Such an ill-advised release should be, at least, recorded so that it's there if someone else needs to pursue action at a later date- In this matter,not much else can be done other than the formal lodging of a complaint since (a) he is an adult and you, therefore, have no standing, really, to act in his interest or on his behalf in such matters and (b) he is, thankfully, mercifully, safe now....but it should be noted if you feel up to going through the complaint process (which can be a drag).

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
jackieoneill (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeau View Post
If the hospital released him in the condition you describe, they should be ashamed and I hope you'll consider lodging a complaint with the hospital's administrators and the State medical authority. Such an ill-advised release should be, at least, recorded so that it's there if someone else needs to pursue action at a later date- In this matter,not much else can be done other than the formal lodging of a complaint since (a) he is an adult and you, therefore, have no standing, really, to act in his interest or on his behalf in such matters and (b) he is, thankfully, mercifully, safe now....but it should be noted if you feel up to going through the complaint process (which can be a drag).

Yes, You are right, they should be ashamed!!!
Who would I turn the complaint in to though? I want to get it to the proper Authorities... What are your thoughts?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. You did tell me with whom to file, in the beginning of your reply. Thanks