Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Addiction plus Mental Health Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Addiction plus Mental Health Issues Information for addiction with mental disorders/disease.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Unhappy Schizophrenic on xanex???

My hubby is currently locked up for 3/more DWI. He does have a drinking problem and "likes" xanex. In the past his "thing" was to take a bar and drink. He was actually on it that last time he was arrested. He battles with pscystophrinia and if he is not on his meds thats how he copes... atleast thats what he told me. After his time in jail he has released that he has to be on his psych meds but still needs something for anxiety. I do believe he needs anxiety meds but DO NOT want him to take xanex. He has abused it in the past and I fear he will get to comfortable and start drinking again. The combo of beer and xanex has ripped or family apart. I'll be damned if I let him do that again. He says he wont drink but wants to be on xanex. Isnt this just replacing one drug for another? How can I make him see that he is playing with Fire?! Or am I over reacting, he says I am... I dont know what to believe
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Have his doctor/psychiatrist give him something other than Xanax. There are other medicines available for anxiety that can be taken with schizophrenic medication. If he has abused Xanax is the past, he will probably do it again, also his body more than likely will not respond to it like it should because of the abuse. I do not think you are over reacting in this situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nate<3 For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (05-06-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,378 Times in 8,013 Posts

As I understand it, Xanax is an anti-anxiety med, used short-term and not generally used for schizophrenia. Occasionally, if abused or taken in high doses, one can experience psychosis because of abrupt withdrawal, but schizophrenia is genetic.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Many antidepressants can be used to combat anxiety. Xanax can be dangerous if mixed with alcohol and it is very addictive. Xanax is a short term treatment for panic attacks and severe anxiety. There are also antipychotics that help with sx symptoms. I have been psychotic due to bipolar disorder and I take risperdal for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scatty For This Useful Post:
ohsweetmaryjane (05-15-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Many antidepressants can be used to combat anxiety. Xanax can be dangerous if mixed with alcohol and it is very addictive. Xanax is a short term treatment for panic attacks and severe anxiety. There are also antipychotics that help with sx symptoms. I have been psychotic due to bipolar disorder and I take risperdal for that.

Thats what Mike takes too for schitzophrenia. Its works most of the time but when something stressfull arises it stops working and the voices come back. Some times he wont be able to sleep for over 48 hours. It worries me because I know how he freaked out he can get. Im usally there to help him through the rough patches but now... well, there is nothing I can do. Thanks for the advise on the xanex. My gut tells me no way he should be on it but he does need something. Its gonna be hard to get him to realize that it is too addictive for him especially being a recovering alcoholic.
thanks again
Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
As I understand it, Xanax is an anti-anxiety med, used short-term and not generally used for schizophrenia. Occasionally, if abused or taken in high doses, one can experience psychosis because of abrupt withdrawal, but schizophrenia is genetic.

yes, thats true. The medication for schizophrenia is very expensive if not on insurence or carelink. The xanex calms down the symptoms, voices and paranioa. There have been times where it was easier to by bars off the street then go through the system trying to get his $300 a month persriction for risperdol. I read up on lerazapam, that might be better. (forgive my spelling :P)
Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Onto the next hurdle

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,064 Posts

Haldol, risperadol, are typical schizophrenia drugs. Seroquel is also an antipsychotic that also has some anti-anxiety effects. Trazadone is an anti-anxiety med that's not as strong as Xanax that may be helpful. Talk to your state mental health board, there may be ways to help with the cost of the rx.

The Following User Says Thank You to FastCarGirl For This Useful Post:
ohsweetmaryjane (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanked 1,559 Times in 800 Posts

I am in recovery myself, and have professional experience in the human services field. I can tell that pretty much without exception people who have addictive tendencies CANNOT take addictive medicines. While lorazapam is LESS addictive than Xanax, its still likely to "trigger" him to want to either drink or take stronger/more benzodiazpines. (BTW, in case you didn't know, lorazapam and Xanax are both benzos.)

I think that a lot of addicts -- myself included -- have at one time or another convinced themselves that they "legitimately" have a need for prescribed medications were are addictive. I know that when I was using, I had myself convinced that my anxiety was SO bad that I needed Klonopin (also a benzo). Well every month I'd get the script of sixty pills and eat them ALL in like three days. Not because of my anxiety, but because I was a drug addict! Now I know that while I do have anxiety, I can manage it with alternatives....deep breathing, utilizing my support system, and aromatherapy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ohsweetmaryjane For This Useful Post:
FastCarGirl (05-15-2011), LifeTraveler (05-15-2011), lisainengland (05-16-2011), LizzienMike (08-02-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 03:26 AM

Alcohol + Xanax = Blackout, Xanax is a good treatment for serious anxiety issues but I've never heard of it in a treatment for schizophrenia. Benzodiazapines are extremely addictive. I would recommend an anti-psychotic opposed to anything in the benzo family of medication
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 PM

My Son likes to drink and take Zanax. I just posted a new thread about The Sherrifs office releasing my Son after OD on it. It's bad stuff when abused with alcohol.