Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Education Inside
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Education Inside Dedicated to all issues related to prisoner education.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Question Who do I need to talk to to get my husband into a trade?

My husband was in Madison CI (in FL) for the first 3 months he was incarcerated. He scored very high on his TABE test and he was transferred to Graceville CI which is a privately owned camp and has lots of trades to offer. He was thrown into Desktop Publishing. He already took that class at our local community college so he put in for a request to get into a trade he can actually use when he gets out. Today they pulled him out of there and stuck him into a drug rehabilitation and anger management class. This class is 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for a year. While he is in there he can not take anything else. My problem with this is: he is not a drug abuser and does not have any violent crimes. He is in there for the second time for trafficking drugs; not doing them. How can I help him get into a trade so he he can actually get a job when he gets out. It's frustrating that the state wants to rehabilitate him but they will not teach him another way of making money besides selling drugs. I have emailed a few different links off of the Florida corrections site with no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? And him talking to anyone in the jail or filling out request forms do not help.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2010, 05:54 PM
PTO Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,080 Times in 9,093 Posts

Other than you writing the Warden and your husband speaking with his case worker, I don't know what else you can do. They do want they want, when they want, if they want. But I would like to welcome you to PTO!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:01 PM

He needs to speak with his caseworker also if he doesn't have his GED or High School Diploma he won't be able to enroll into any trade programs. You could call to the prison and speak to his caseworker about the enrollment process. Every prison is different i only know about federal prisons. Not sure if it applies to your situation but if your not his emergency contact person his caseworker won't discuss any information about him with you. Good Luck
Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreainpalmbay View Post
My husband was in Madison CI (in FL) for the first 3 months he was incarcerated. He scored very high on his TABE test and he was transferred to Graceville CI which is a privately owned camp and has lots of trades to offer. He was thrown into Desktop Publishing. He already took that class at our local community college so he put in for a request to get into a trade he can actually use when he gets out. Today they pulled him out of there and stuck him into a drug rehabilitation and anger management class. This class is 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for a year. While he is in there he can not take anything else. My problem with this is: he is not a drug abuser and does not have any violent crimes. He is in there for the second time for trafficking drugs; not doing them. How can I help him get into a trade so he he can actually get a job when he gets out. It's frustrating that the state wants to rehabilitate him but they will not teach him another way of making money besides selling drugs. I have emailed a few different links off of the Florida corrections site with no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? And him talking to anyone in the jail or filling out request forms do not help.

Thank you
I have been contacting my State, Federal, & County Representatives. Guess what? They actually do listen if you take the time to explain your situation & have a few suggestions to offer that actually make sense. I have a post under the Oregon site titled Speaking up for my inmate on prison reform. You are welcome to take any parts of it in a plea to your Representatives. I have a phone conference coming up with my State Rep & she has contacted a State agency for help for me & my hubby. Good Luck to you on your quest.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. I wound up emailing the warden and he contacted me. He had no idea that inmates were being taken out of their education classes for this drug and alcohol class. So he called a meeting with the education department to handle it. They are revising the schedules and he said he would work on getting my husband into a trade.