Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:24 PM

Default Units that offer college courses in Texas

cAn someone tell me which units in Tx offer college courses to complete a bachelors degree? Then do those same units also offer master degree level courses? My guy only lacked a few hours to complete his degree when he was taken. He did interview at his last unit and was waiting on his transcripts. That unit did not offer classes. He is now at a unit that says it has Lee Academic available but I have no ideal if that is the equivalent of a community college or what. Does anyone know? Also the typical timeframe to jump thru all the hoops to get somewhere to actually take those classes?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM
smyles

In interested in knowing as well, sorry I couldn't be of help
Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Thanked 4,365 Times in 2,607 Posts

I've had clients with Bachelor degrees from Tarleton (Hughes Unit) and also Sam Houston (Wynne and some other Huntsville area units). Masters degrees are primarily a University of Houston at Clear Lake thing and are going to be the Ramsey units. I do not know if West Texas A&M (or whatever name it is known as) is still offering their programs at the Amarillo units.

The educational staff at his current unit can tell him what college programs are offered and where they are offered.

Lee College is classified as a junior college, which basically means two-year programs. I do not believe, based upon their athletic program classifications, that they have ANY four-year programs.

At this point in the year, he would be doing well to be enrolled anywhere for the Spring Semester of 2013. Paperwork would be done during the early fall and they would target the transfer sometime in mid to late-December in most cases...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks ctl...I'll get him to start his process now