Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM
King Of Pop King Of Pop is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 29
Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default Protective Custody In Federal Prison

Aloha. This is the first time I've ever posted in the federal prison section and I was wondering if anybody might be able to answer a question I have. It concerns protective custody(pc) within' the federal prison system. I did time in state prison in California and there they have a thing called a "Sensitive Needs Yard", or simply "SNY" as it is commonly refured to as. It is what corrections officials in CA now call PC. Because I am a homosexual I was placed in an SNY facility due to the fact that my sexual orientation could've maid me a target for violence in the general population(gp). While there I heard an inmate who had just finished serving time in a federal prison talk about how "the feds" have SNY and that gays have the option of choosing to do thier time in SNY opposed to a GP facility. In CA gay inmates have this option. Is this the same with doing time in federal prison? Does anybody have any information concerning this matter? If so, please respond. Much mahalos.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM
amazggrace's Avatar
amazggrace amazggrace is offline
Registered User
Donation Award 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere out there, beneath the clear blue sky (f)
Posts: 1,942
Thanks: 672
Thanked 1,205 Times in 728 Posts

The feds do not have a sny yard.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 AM
mallafri mallafri is offline

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hope
Posts: 1,595
Thanks: 1,918
Thanked 907 Times in 561 Posts

In federal, if you're not in general population, you're in the special housing unit, which is where you're kept in your cell for 23 hours a day. My BF's in a medium and they have both gays and transvestites in general population, for most parts, it doesn't seem to be a problem. The Feds have "easier and harder" yards though, so it probably depends on where you end up.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM
fbopnomore fbopnomore is offline
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,035
Thanks: 31,015
Thanked 15,604 Times in 9,484 Posts

I agree that the best you could hope for in the fed is a transfer to general population in another prison. Protective custody is done in the SHU, which is definitely no fun. There are many openly (and even more not so openly) gay inmates in fed GP, and I think that most would tell you it isn't any worse for them than for anyone else.

The advice about each situation being unique is true, so if you ever do encounter serious problems, for whatever reason, you will have to decide to either handle them yourself (or with friends) or check into PC if you can't. If you end up in PC, request a transfer to another prison, early and often.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:09 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2013 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics