Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 PM

Default Protective Custody In Federal Prison

Aloha. This is the first time I've ever posted in the federal prison section and I was wondering if anybody might be able to answer a question I have. It concerns protective custody(pc) within' the federal prison system. I did time in state prison in California and there they have a thing called a "Sensitive Needs Yard", or simply "SNY" as it is commonly refured to as. It is what corrections officials in CA now call PC. Because I am a homosexual I was placed in an SNY facility due to the fact that my sexual orientation could've maid me a target for violence in the general population(gp). While there I heard an inmate who had just finished serving time in a federal prison talk about how "the feds" have SNY and that gays have the option of choosing to do thier time in SNY opposed to a GP facility. In CA gay inmates have this option. Is this the same with doing time in federal prison? Does anybody have any information concerning this matter? If so, please respond. Much mahalos.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Donation Award 

Location: Somewhere out there, beneath the clear blue sky (f)
Thanked 1,121 Times in 685 Posts

The feds do not have a sny yard.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Banned

In federal, if you're not in general population, you're in the special housing unit, which is where you're kept in your cell for 23 hours a day. My BF's in a medium and they have both gays and transvestites in general population, for most parts, it doesn't seem to be a problem. The Feds have "easier and harder" yards though, so it probably depends on where you end up.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 10,380 Times in 6,266 Posts

I agree that the best you could hope for in the fed is a transfer to general population in another prison. Protective custody is done in the SHU, which is definitely no fun. There are many openly (and even more not so openly) gay inmates in fed GP, and I think that most would tell you it isn't any worse for them than for anyone else.

The advice about each situation being unique is true, so if you ever do encounter serious problems, for whatever reason, you will have to decide to either handle them yourself (or with friends) or check into PC if you can't. If you end up in PC, request a transfer to another prison, early and often.