Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Michigan prison Visitation, Phones & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's sub-forum category.

Old 10-28-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Vizitation, What to expect. (visiting @ a Michigan prison)

Soon I will be able to have my first prison visit with my man. I am curious on what I will be able to do. I've read threads on all this but to be more specific, will I be able to hug him and give him a kiss? can I hold his hand during visitation? I do know he will get contact visits. Although I dont know the extent of the contact. Obviously nothing sexual, etc.... But how does it work? Can I sit next to him and just lay my head on his shoulder as we visit and talk? If anyone can help here I would love it! He is in a Michigan prison. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2004, 06:22 AM

Default That depends...

If its a contact visit, a hug and a kiss at the beginning and at the end of the visit will be permitted. The rest in between pretty much depends on the room and the COs there! Where my man is at, we got no tables, just seats, and I am allowed to sit next to him, hold his hand, have my head on his shoulder and so on. They are pretty cool there. But Ive heard that other places are more strict with that. Simply have a look around. How do the other couples behave? How close do they sit and touch? It will give you a very good idea of what can be done without risking any trouble. I wish you a wonderful visit!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:39 AM

I would get there a little early and talk with the other ladies visiting. I am in Ga (all prisons are different and when different CO's are there they have different rules) we sit at a square table, they have brown chairs for the inmate. They are facing the Co's you can hug and kiss and the beginning and the end of the visit. Inmates can not get up for any reason unless they ask and go to bathroom. You will get all the stuff out of vending machine. They can hold there kids (if you have one) but the kid has to sit on one knee--not both. (stupid rule). No holding hands---although we did this last visit and no one said anything. We can take up to $15 in quarters in a zip loc bag. The inmates look forward to eating all the snacks. We cant sit close enough to put our heads on there shoulders. Just ask around and like others have said look and see what others are doing.

Enjoy your visit. Most important remember to dress appopriately or you want get in.

ONE

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 08:32 AM

It all depends on the CO...some are better than others. I've had visits where Tony crossed his leg, and had his knee on mine, and the CO told him he had to have both feet on the floor. But there's been visits where we've "snuggled" and he's kissed me on the cheek several times, and nothing was said.

At Florence Crane, you can kiss and hug at the beginning and end, hold hands throughout, or one arm around you. The inmate can't get up except for pictures, or to go to the bathroom, and we found out last weekend that they're only allowed to go once through the whole visit.

Hope this helps...feel free to PM me if you have any other questions! Enjoy your visit!!

Old 10-28-2004, 05:08 PM
~BELIEVE~7-10-06~
Donation Award 

...Hug and kiss at the beginning and at the end...hold hands during visit...he can put his arm around your shoulder...but always beware of where your hands are touching...when holding hands, keep off each others' knee, leg, anything in that area, etc...make sure you get the visiting rules from the prison and read 'em good...each prison is the same with possible small differences...the rules should be in the area of checking in for your visit...ask for them if they are not right there...enjoy your visit, too!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Account Closed

Oh, have a wonderful visit, the other posts pretty much covered it but I just wanted to touch base on what you can wear, only because my first visit was a nightmare, I spent all this time getting ready bought a new outfit, had my hair & nails done, etc, AND I made the mistake of wearing a white blouse....They said you could see my bra straps, Pleeaaseee......!!!!!! They made were a nasty green smock, I was so upset although my hubby said I was beautiful, I still was devastated!!! I also got turned away for a skirt that was to short, I think if you check the Michigan forum under prison profiles the prison your going to should be there, all the info about it too!! If not let me know where your going and I can give you a heads up!! Lord knows I've been all over the state...LOL Good luck... Raven
Old 10-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Satisfied

Crenshawswife,
Ravensgirl is right. I got the privilege of wearing a smock on my first visit too, because of my bra straps showing. The advice about following the other visits in the room is good. It will help you to gauge the CO on duty. The actual rules state that you can hold hands and he can put his arm around you. You can take $10 in quarters in with you, if you are going in by yourself. There will be lockers for your stuff. Some give you a locker when you sign in, others have lockers where you put a quarter in to use, get the key out, and then get your quarter back when you are finished. You can't have anything other than the locker key, quarters, and driver's license (or ID card) when you go in. A random thing, the sign in sheets want the tags of the car you drove, so you might want to make sure to remember that or write it down. When you go in, you may have to take a number for sign in. They will ask for his number and take your license to compare info. If you have it, you may want to take your letter from them that tells you that you are approved to visit, just because it is the first visit. When you go through, you will be patted down, take your shoes off. (And socks if you are wearing any. A perk of hose is that you don't have to take those off.) You will be taken in and he will be waiting on you. I know some other states that the visitor waits for the inmate, but not as far as my experience up there has been, and he has been in 5 places so far. I have been told several times that I am not allowed to rest my head on his shoulder, so be careful on that one. You will be able to get photo coupons ($2 each in the places I have been) before you go in, either from the co checking you in or a vending machine. You are allowed a bathroom break, usually only one per visit or you use up another visit. And you get the same treatment when you come back in. You have to take your quarters, locker key, and id with you. He can't touch the money or go to the vending machines. There will be microwaves and stuff to heat things up and napkins and mayo,ketchup, mustard, sporks, ect for you to use.
Sorry to ramble so much, but I am uptight and want to always be prepared, so I know how you feel and I walked in blindly the first time and had to nag a co. I hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else! Have a wonderful visit!
Jenn
Old 10-28-2004, 06:52 PM
~BELIEVE~7-10-06~
Donation Award 

...we can now take in $15 in quarters...
Old 10-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Donation Award 

[b][i]When I go visit Louis. We can hug and kiss at the beginning and the end. we can hold hands but I can't put my head on his shoulder and i can't rub his back.. Louis can get up to go to the vending machines but they have to ask first and there is a red line that they can't cross. Sometimes I have to wait for Louis to come in to the room... As for an outfit take a change of clothes just in case. I know that you can't wear hoodies or any thing with a hood and you can't see thru your shirt and it can't be cut low no cleavage!!! I also got spoken to about my black pants being second skin. The best bet is jeans and a shirt.
I know that you have to lock your car and no windows can be down!!!
You can take in $15.00 in qauters they changed that in the summer..
Anything else you can pm me if needed... Enjoy your visit...
Old 10-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Satisfied

Good! My bad. I haven't been allowed to visit in a year now. About time because $10 doesn't last if you get to spend very long in there! Sorry about that. Thanks DenimBlue!
Jenn
Old 10-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Oh yeah both Saginaw and Thumb are rare in the fact that you and your guy can walk up to the vending machines together. As far as I know these are the only two prisons that allow that. I am so spoiled because it is all I know!

Old 10-28-2004, 09:35 PM

Wow, you all have given me alot of great info! I really appreciate everyone's input. I have goosebumps just thinking about being able to touch him again!! He got arrested Nov. 19th 2003. The only visits I had in county were through glass. The idea i can hug and kiss him twice sends chills down my spine!! I think waiting for this application approval will seem like forever So much to look forward to!!!!!!!!!! hehe I swear I am all giggly now One thing I didnt know about is pictures?? They allow us to take them together? Do we have a limit on them if I purchase the coupons or whatever? Do we get them the same day and can he have one?? I swear you guys, I cant stop thinking about this now Thanks so much to all of you!!!

Old 10-28-2004, 09:42 PM
amused MEMBER

Picture tickets are purchased in the check in room either at the desk or out of a machine. They are $1.50 each where you are going Chrenshaw. You can buy as many as you like and he can take them with him when he leaves. HOWEVER when you take some with you and want to send them to him - they must be copies you can't send poloroids into him. YOu get them as soon as you take them.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:09 PM

Thanks!!

Old 10-28-2004, 10:16 PM

Default Have a GREAT time on your visit!

Have a GREAT time on your visit! I am sure you will
Old 10-29-2004, 05:34 AM

When I visited my friend at Cooper Street a few weeks ago the picture taking process had gone high tech! They had a digital camera and it was nice because you could look at the picture while it was still in the camera and make sure that your eyes were open and that you didn't have some goofy look on your face!! ;-) They took the pictures and then had a photo printer behind the officer's station where they printed off real pictures! I suspect more and more facilities will go with this as the IBF can afford it! I actually went ahead and paid for two pictures this time so I could leave one since I knew he was leaving the next week for the Center but in the past with another friend I would bring the picture home and make copies with my scanner to send back to them!

I agree with the observations that what exact behavior is allowed may depend very much about the officer on duty! I have observed what I thought was relatively intimate behavior and also seen people checked for absent mindedly rubbing an arm!!

Good luck on your visit!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:24 AM

Everyone's pretty much covered the visitation rules. I know up at Hiawatha, they seem pretty relaxed. We could hold hands and sit close to each other the whole time. I had my hand on his back for a while, and the CO didn't say anything, but I didn't want to push it. My guy did get pulled aside during one of our visits and told we weren't allowed to switch seats. When I got there, there were no chairs available with a table, but during the visit one opened up so we just moved to it. I guess that's a no-no. I agree with the other posts that say to watch others in the room to get a feel for how strict/lenient the CO's are. Have a great visit.

Jenny
Old 10-29-2004, 07:39 AM
amused MEMBER

XDOC - so weird that you would bring up the digital camera - my honey just told me that the price of their picture tickets inside were going up to help pay for a new digital camera and printer. Wonder if ours will go up to? In any case, I think its a good thing as long as they have quality printers/cartridges/paper because otherwise the pictures will fade. I would suggest getting them copied at the store or on your quality papers etc just in case.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

BTW Saginaw does have a digital camera for their photos too.